History of the Malvern Fire Company
Damage from the September 1, 1979 lire
at the Harry Siravo home on First Avenue was estimated at $30,000. (DLN)
A fire at J & L Building Materials, Inc.,
Broad Street, on April 22, 1971 kept 64 men and nine pieces of equipment from Malvern and
Paoli in service for almost two hours. Stacks of insulating boards were destroyed and a
portion of the galvanized roof was damaged, in March, the Auxiliary voted to buy a
generator for the Company, at a cost of approximately $1,200.
A Daily Local News
photograph and story April 16 publicized the May 8 firemen's parade and housing, The first
Malvern housing in 28 years, according to Chief John Mullen, the article explained a
housing as "a traditional event when fire fighters from communities are invited to
escort the new pieces of equipment into the firehouse, officially designating them as part
of the fire company."
The parade included 74 pieces of equipment
from 41 companies, including Malvern's horse-drawn 1903 gasoline engine. East Whiteland
firemen housed the week-old 1971 Mack 1250-gallon pumper, 1968 Dodge field truck and
the1968 and 1970 Cadillac ambulances.
The Auxiliary made a donation of $1,000 to
the Company at the November 18 banquet.
The Betsy Ross Candy Company, Paoli, had a
fire in February, 1973 (SA) and Fisher Feed Company, Malvern, had a devastating fire in
July. The July 21 newspaper report described the 3:45 a.m. fire, with its accompanying
explosions '' from stored grain and gasoline in trapped vehicles, as a $200,000 loss. To
the'' firefighters from the eight companies on the scene, the Auxiliary served iced tea,
lemonade, grape drink, coffee, doughnuts, sandwiches, cigarettes and cigars, and matches,
to replace the wet ones in their pockets.
In October, the Auxiliary voted to donate
$500 to the Company and a bronze plaque with the Fireman's Prayer.
The Phelps School had a fire in March, 1974
with an estimated loss of $15,000-$18,000. Ten years later, in February 1984, another fire
destroyed a two-story barn, estimated loss of $95,000.
A blazing fire at Better Plastic, Inc, King
and Bridge Streets, resulted in an estimated loss of $50,000 to the two-story building.
The Lincoln Furniture Store, Frazer, suffered
a $100,000 fire loss New Year Eve, 1977. (DLN) Charleston Greene Apartments lost four end
units under construction to a $40,000 fire in September 1973. (Suburban) The 61-year old
St. Joseph's Mission Church chapel was a total loss in June, 1979. The damage to the
Devault landmark was estimated at $100,000. Jones Disposal Malvern had a $500,000 loss to
fire in October, 1979.
©2007 - 2013 Malvern Fire Company. All Rights Reserved
Click Here for Browser/Site Information