Over half of all home electrical fires involve lighting equipment or home electrical wiring.
Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, space heater, or microwave) directly into a wall outlet at a time.
Extension cords should only be used temporarily. Have an electrician install additional wall outlets where you need them.
Never use an extension cord with a heat-producing appliance.
Don’t overload extension cords or wall outlets.
Check your electrical cords. If they are cracked or damaged, replace them. Don’t try to repair them.
Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.